Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood stove pipe cleaning

Posted by cs6000 (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 7:36

Will be installing the pipe on the wood stove in new home today. From the stove to top of the pipe will be approx 27 feet. Our roof is a murderous 10/12 pitch. The pipe will also be about 8-9 ft high up there.

I've always brushed the pipe on our old home myself, had easy roof there.

My tentative plan for this is to unhook the telescoping pipe on the inside, where it attachs to the stove, and try to do it that way, which of course will be awfully messy. With our old stove, doing it every year, the soot was not too heavy, so I think it will be doable with good prep work.

Wondering if anyone has experience with this issue, and suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood stove pipe cleaning

My only suggestion is to make sure your life insurance is paid.

If you get up on the roof and fall, you could kill yourself.

If you take the pipe apart and make a huge mess in the house, your wife could kill you.

o

Well, that IS a suggestion, at any rate.

Funnily, one of my wife's favorite jokes is about the two towels in the bathroom. One is for me to use if I want to dry my hands, the other if I want to get killed.

o

My annual cleaning is only $85- for that I get cleaned and inspected with a chimney cam by the dealer that installed my system. Best money I spend all year- it is such a crucial element of our lives and the husband keeps his feet planted firmly (and safely) on the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here