Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building New home - Fireplace questions

Posted by napavines (My Page) on
Sun, May 2, 10 at 6:36

Hi
I am building a new home in Northern California.

I would like to have a modern propane linear fireplace with glass or rock base (no logs). Ideally it would be 6ft plus long with a narrow opening (18" or so) and no glass doors. I am in California so am not sure that is viable for Title 24 reasons . . . .

There are some manufactures like "spark" but are very expensive $5k+

http://www.sparkfires.com/products/direct-vent-6ft

This company below - moderrustic - supplies linear propane burners and could do a 6 ft one for under $1000. I just wonder whether we could build a firebox and stainless steel flue for this . . .

http://www.moderustic.com/Propane-Burners.html

Any help or guidance would be appreciated....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building New home - Fireplace questions

How airtight is your new house? The Spark and equivalents are direct vent and get outside air from the outer pipe in the chimney. The glass front seal the combustion chamber, so no combusiton gasses escape.

The examples on modernrustic all appear to not be direct vent and I would worry about getting enough combustion air for a big burner in tight new construction.

I think I would call moderrustic and ask them and check with a local fireplace builder to see what they think.

o
RE: Building New home - Fireplace questions

Did you ever get this resolved? We are in the exact same situation now and wondered what you ended up doing?

Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here