Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweet_home_gw

odd smell from wood burning fireplace(s)

sweet_home
13 years ago

We have 2 wood buring fireplaces in our 37 yr old house. One is in the living room and the other one is in the family room. There seems to be an odd smell coming from both the fireplaces. We don't use both of them but looks like some of the owners who lived here a while back used it extensively. We did a chimney sweep of both chimneys last year and put tight sealing chimney top dampers(to prevent air drafts). We do notice an odd smell coming from both fireplaces and it fills up the entire room. Even though the smell from the family room fireplace is not exactly the same as that of the living room, it is obvious that they are coming from the fireplace. We don't have tight sealing front covers for both fireplaces. The question is would tight sealing covers stop the odor? My husband thinks it wouldn't. I don't understand what is causing the odor to begin with. I can smell the odor in the kitchen if I switch on the exhaust fan. Agreed I am more sensitive to smell when compared to others but this odor is very noticeable. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the odor? What can cause it? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm