Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dntutley_gw

Should I leave opening or extend it?

dntutley
10 years ago

I'm in the middle of an extensive 1st floor renovation and I have decided (after two months of construction already) to redo my fireplace. It's from the 70's and its a standard size fireplace but the brick extends out to cover entire wall. Here's my concern........ I'm simply covering the brick, not removing it. By doing so we will be mounting 2x4s to the brick then building the new wall there. My problem is that means the opening to my fireplace is now 4 inches further out. Do I take my current doors off and extend the fireplace 4 inches or leave the opening where it is, leaving the actual original fireplace intact. By not moving it, my estimations after all is said and done is there will be a 2-1/2 inches deep recessed opening. I would wrap the decorative tile around it and butting it up to the opening. I've never seen a recessed fireplace. Only thing that makes it an issue are the glass doors. If I took them off, it would be no big deal, but I don't like the look of an open fireplace.

Comment (1)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

You need to check the fireplace codes. There is a certain amount of protection required. In our county it's 6" on all sides of non-flammable brick or tile.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH