Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on mantel for gas fireplace high on wall?

Posted by californiagirl (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 22:31

(Cross posting in Home Decorating forum.)

I am having difficulty figuring out how to trim out the gas fireplace in our master bedroom with a wood mantel and sides. The FP was supposed to be placed lower, near the floor, but there is a vent pipe coming up from below that meant the fireplace had to be set higher. We never meant to have a high raised hearth for this fireplace. Now we think it looks funny to be so high off the floor and are not sure how to trim it out so that it looks right.

The 12" tile is a Rainforest Green marble that DH would like to use as a surround between the sides of the FP and the wood mantel. But what can we do on the lower part of the wall to mimic the missing hearth without taking up the floor space that real raised hearth would?

Anybody have any photos of raised fireplaces without raised hearths?

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on mantel for gas fireplace high on wall?

Of all the fireplace pics i have saved down, not one has a raised fireplaced w/o a raised hearth! However, I did google "wall mount fireplace photos" and tons came up. Most are more contemporary looking, so not sure what style you are looking for, but there were a couple with a stone wall.

o
RE: Advice on mantel for gas fireplace high on wall?

So, I just came across this picture looking at some stuff online and thought of you!

Here is a link that might be useful: high fireplace w/no hearth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here