Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Decorating an empty fireplace (=black hole).

Posted by chester_grant (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 20, 06 at 22:04

My fireplace is empty and is just a big 3 foot wide black hole in a brick surround. Any ideas on how to decorate a fireplace to make it look good?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Decorating an empty fireplace (=black hole).

yeah, put a wood or a pellet stove in there. You'd be surprised how great it will look afterwards. :-D

o

In the winter I keep firewood laid on the grate. In summer, I clean out the ashes, remove the grate and put in a large basket arranged with fake plants intertwined with a string of white Christmas lights. You could also use a decorative screen in front of the fireplace or an arrangement of fresh flowers.

o

You can purchase an inexpensive Candelabra that usually holds 8 or 9 of the larger size candles. This provides a nice off season opportunity for a cozy candlelight atmosphere. You can get some artificial branches or vines to go around the bottom if you wish to dress it up. I also saw one that was made out of a log. Here's a link to give you an idea as what they look like and cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Candleabra

o

I knew someone who put candles in their fireplace and it looked fantastic. She burned them while we were over and it was cosy and nice to look at.

o

Decorating Your Fireplace in the Summer (it talks about things you can put in your firebox when it's not being used)

o

we did the candles for summer time too and LOVE the look - get many complements. Get the simplest holder you can and then pillar candles and you can't beat the ambiance UNLESS you decide you want a year round zen look. Then take a look at exoticflames.com - they answer your questions quickly and directly if you are intrigued on if this look will work for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: exotic flames

o

Would gas logs be an option for a situation like this? I have looked at gas logs in passing but don't know too much about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Gas Fireplace Logs

o

If you put candles in a fireplace and want to light them, do you have to open the flue? Does the number of candles make a difference? ... I've seen pictures of candles burning in a fireplace, and they're beautiful, but the practical questions always surface. I'd appreciate any insight someone might have, especially from those who have done this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here