Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter of 2009-10: No Problem

Posted by coffeehaus (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 21:10

I just wanted to give some feedback on our first winter with our Jotul Oslo woodstove after a particularly long winter in a new house. In a word...fabulous! While my co-workers were complaining about $400-600 electrical bills, we were looking at $75-100 in January and February with the Jotul as our only source of heat for our first floor of a 2400 sf house with geothermal backup. The stove is efficient, good looking, and easy to operate. Our only negative comment is that sometimes we have to open the ash drawer to get a good draw, but once the fire is established, it's no problem. The new house includes a fresh air intake, as we built a very "tight" abode. The surrounding hearth is rather large, but our aim was for a "heat sink" of stone that would serve to store some of that lovely wood burning heat. Cats liked it, too!
From Winter 2009-10

Thanks to all on THS/GardenWeb for the info on woodstoves and fireplaces!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter of 2009-10: No Problem

Thanks for sharing your good experience. Beautiful stove and hearth. Should be okay for a long, long time.

o

That stove should give you many years of enjoyment and savings. Nothing is better than not worrying about paying another bill.

o

The installation loks great! And yes, the stone will absorb the heat and generate it after the stove cools, meaning less wood used.

And I think you found out that NOTHING heats like wood! It warms you from the inside out.

And during a blizzard, when the power goes out, you sit in front of the fire, and don't care when the power comes back!

o

For sure the wood heat is wonderful! And when there is nothing worth watching on TV, we would just sit and watch the fire and talk or listen to some music. I almost wish it was cold again! It was my form of meditation during the cold months. I spent many an evening feeling somewhat guilty, wearing a T-shirt in January because it was 72 degrees in our house. DH would add a few logs before we went to bed, and in the morning, we still had enough coals to start another couple of logs to get going for the day. With the stone hearth surround to store the heat, the house was still warm in the mornings. The wood may bring a little dirt (and Asian stink bugs!) inside the house, but it sure beats writing a check for hundreds of $$ every month.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here