Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisonn_gw

How to clean inside of fireplace?

alisonn
15 years ago

We have two fireplaces and only burn wood in one. We checked out converting the other one to gas, but can't afford it at this time. In the meantime, I bought one of those nice mult-candle holders. Before I put it into the fireplace, I decided to give the inside of the fireplace a good cleaning. On such close inspection, I noticed that not only was it difficult the get the floor clean, but the metal insert could use a cleaning and maybe a paint job. What is the best product to use for cleaning these surfaces?

Comment (1)

• jerry_nj
    15 years ago

Hum, what have you got? I'm lost in your description. It could be you have an insert in one fireplace and a open fireplace in the other case. If the "other case" is a masonry fireplace, then a stone/brick cleaner may be the best bet. I have scrubbed our masonry fireplace out once, got lots of very dirty rinse water out of the process, and in the end it looked better, but not unused. I purchased a cleaning soap in liquid from from Home Depot, I don't remember the brand.

As for a metal insert, I'd not recommend any paint if you plan to ever use it again. There are some high-temperature paints, not sure to what temperature they are good, but I think inserts can easily get into the 500 degree + range.