Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momali3

exposed brick or not?

momali3
16 years ago

We're just at the designing stage of a new house, which will have a fireplace in the Great Room. In our present house we have a typical 60s or 70s fireplace: raised hearth, brick surround, exposed brick up to the ceiling, but our ceilings are not the 10' ceilings they'll be in the new house. Well, actually, our Great Room will have a 2 story ceiling with an overlook from the second floor. DH assumes we'll have exposed brick, loves the look, can't imagine NOT having it. Oh, yeah, we have a simple shelf mantel. I really want a more formal look, brick but with a mantel and wood surround, and a flush hearth. Are exposed brick up to the ceiling totally out? Our GR RM will be comfortable but our traditional furniture (wing chairs, etc.) is certainly not casual. What's your advice, out there?

Comments (2)

• green-zeus
    16 years ago

I have a similar arrangement here and the face of the fireplace,floor to ceiling, is done in Eldorado stone (manmade.) I have the river rock, but there are MANY stone designs in this manmade rock. A friend recently did her's in the stacked stone and it's really incredable looking. Maybe you want to go to a website and look at all the different types of stone. Just because your decorating style is traditional, doesn't mean you need to stay with brick. Brick is just so-so, now that there are all these different stones out there. A fireplace like that should be dramatic.

• fandlil
    16 years ago

I think it's probably not a good idea to design a fireplace that's "in fashion," because in a few years it will be out of fashion, and it will be hard to redesign.

If you're wedded to traditional because of your furniture and because that's the look you like, there are many traditional looks that don't go out of fashion as rapidly, and have a way of coming back into fashion after a while. If resale value some time down the road is a consideration, something traditional or classical is a safer bet.

As far as materials are concerned, I'm partial to "real" materials, whether marble, brick, slate, or whatever. But I would stay away from granite because it's been overplayed in recent years. Some of the synthetic materials out there may look good, but may go out of fashion in a short time. About brick, there are many different kinds, and you may find a "dressy" style that blends in with your decor nicely. But I don't think a brick wall all the way up to the ceiling will go with the more traditional decor you are after, unless you hire a really creative interior designer who can come up with a unique look for you.

One specific suggestion: black slate combined with black cast iron surround is a really enduring look, not overdone, and eclectic enough to blend in any decor. You can combine it with a wood (or other material) mantel, which can be easily changed if you want a different look later.

I would do a Google search of fireplaces. There are quite a few websites out there with pictures that will give you ideas.

A separate issue: If you are planning to use the fireplace to heat, and you're not a dyed-in-the-wool wood person, give some serious thought to going with direct-vent gas fireplace. They are state of the art, minimally polluting, energy efficient, and very easy and convenient to use. If you're unfamiliar with that technology, search this forum for posts that go into it in detail.