Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help on fireplace surround

Posted by petesamprs (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 17:02

I purchased a house that had a large brick-faced faceplace in the family room, along with a raised brick floor hearth. The fireplace itself was originally woodburning, but the original owner ran a gas line and now it has gas fired logs in there.

We didn't like the brick face/floor hearth, so we had it all demo'ed. The below picture is what we have now.

Notice in the bottom right of the picture is the clay tile-encased furnace flue coming up from the basement (previously it was hidden in the floor hearth structure). It diagonally comes up through the floor and into the fireplace wall.

In order to hide it, I think we need to use a fireplace surround (like a white column) to encase it, but that looks like it will be very close to the firebox itself. Does that require me to convert to a zero-clearance gas insert?

Any other thoughts/ideas are helpful here, since we're sort of stuck now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Demo'ed fireplace

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here