Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
storing wood in the basement

Posted by sweetgreen (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 17, 09 at 16:15

Does anyone do this, if so, what are the problems you've run into?

I'm worried about two things: 1) bugs taking over the house 2) the wood not drying or seasoning, or it drys but my house molds from so much extra humidity.

I think I can control the bug thing by dusting the wood with Sevin or some other poison. But I'm worried about the wood not drying out. I have a dehumidifier in the basement but don't want it to be running 24/7 and watch my elec bill shoot through the roof.

I just don't have enough room under the lean-to outside to store wood. I can put 1.5-2 cords in my basement, but not sure if I should store it there over the summer. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: storing wood in the basement

Store the wood outside. You won't be using it until next fall so stack it loosly and just leave it alone. If it rains on it, so what?
There is sometimes confusion about "dry" wood. The wood has moisture in it as it grows. That's what must leave the wood in order to burn properly. Some rain won't affect that process at all. Come September, you place a piece of plywood over the top of the wood. That's all you need to do. Not under a lean to or anything like that. Just let it sit all season by itself and you'll be ready to go nect season.

o

Any idea how long ash tree logs will last outdoors? I just had quite a few ash trees taken down, some with a 24 inch diameter trunk but most between 12 and 18 inches. I had the trees cut into 15' logs and stacked into a log pile. I probably won't have the time to get to them for at least a year to cut and split.

Any rough idea how long these trees logs will last and still be good for firewood?

Thanks

o

I worry about using sevin on something you are going to burn in your house....I wouldn't do it. We sometimes just bring in a few at a time and leave in the heated garage a couple of days when they are soaked thru....I don't like bugs!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here