Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okieladybug

Would like to get a wood stove...need suggestions and opinions

okieladybug
15 years ago

DH and I are purchasing a home out in the country. Right now the central heating unit is propane. We would like to heat the home with wood instead, as we have a ready supply of it. The total square footage is 3200 s.f. The living room is 2-story and the upstairs bedrooms are set up around a loft area. The rest of the home is open concept. We live in Zone 7/8 where the average low temp can get to (on the coldest of days/nights) 10 to 20 degrees F.

I went today to a wood stove/fireplace store. They recommended the Model 44 Elite (a fireplace from Fireplace Xtrordinair). Their installation includes the Posi-Pressure system which they said would allow all the rooms in the house to be heated comfortably. It has a catalytic bypass mechanism. They gave me a rough estimate for cost of $5800 (which did not include the additional cost of the extended ceiling). Does this sound reasonable?

We have just started our research on this, so I have nothing to compare that to yet. I'm trying to gather some information so we can make a wise decision, but there's so much info online that I'm having trouble narrowing down our options. Any guidance or direction you can provide would be VERY helpful!

Comments (7)

• old-vt-crafter
    15 years ago

I went to the site of the company and saw the "posi Pressure" system is nothing more than a fancy term for a blower. But they DO work!

What you're looking at is called a BIS or "built in stove". Very nice and will add to the value of your home.

My only concern is the CAT. I personally prefer the non cat systems where there's a secondary burn in the unit and the smoke is burned inside the stove. And there are no replacement CATs to buy. Look into the price for replacement CATs.

We heat our home with a woodstove here in VT and it does get chilly sometimes (we had snow flurries yesterday) and I love it. With oil going up more every day I'll keep the stove as long as I can carry wood.

• okieladybug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the information! I wondered about how fancy the "posi-pressure" system actually was! I will also keep the cat/non-cat issue in mind.

Can you recommend a good brand? We have yet to decide if we want a wood stove or built in fireplace. A lot will depend on initial cost and if we can find someone to install it locally.

• old-vt-crafter
    15 years ago

What you're looking at is the best of both worlds. A fireplace is actually a heat LOSER as the heat goes up the chimney. Commonly referred to as "negative efficiency".
    The BIS is a great stove. And looks just like a fireplace when installed. You can do a Google for BIS but if they're aren't sold and installed by a local stove shop I wouldn't get that brand. It's just that simple. You want backup just in case anything goes wrong.

I have a Regency stove. I don't have a big house (Been there, done that!) so all I need is a small unit to heat the house when it gets to minus 30 in the winter.

• yayagal
    15 years ago

Okie, you should look up some of them online. I spent several hours today looking at wood stoves. We've had one for more than 20 years and love it but it looks tired and I want a new epa certified one with more efficiency. I fell in love with the Napolean, Go look at Harmon stoves and Hearthstone. We prefer cast iron with a converter. The soapstone ones are nice too. I haven't found one for more than 2500.00 so I'd say your quote is too high. Keep looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: northline express

• okieladybug
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the responses! I will continue to do my research. I definitely want a local company to do the installation or at least be available if something needs repairing. Thanks again!

• coffeehaus
    15 years ago

This website has lots of info and photos. There are forums just like on GW!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireplace, stove, and wood info

• chelone
    15 years ago

We own two CAT stoves; one has been keeping us warm for nearly 18 yrs. now, the other is brand new (Woodstock Soapstove Co.). You DO have to pay attention to how you treat the catalytic combustors to keep them functioning effciently for as long as possible; this means not burning a lot of trash in the stove, not burning painted or stained wood, etc.. And they do require periodic replacement (we have averaged 3-5 yrs. between replacements). But day to day operation of CAT stoves is no big deal, it's really easy.

I wouldn't let a CAT mechanism be a "non-starter", personally. But do make sure you follow the manufacturer's directions if you purchase one. It makes a big difference in long term performance.