Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace face lift

Posted by gene_2007 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 20, 10 at 15:48

We have a painted brick wood-burning fireplace. We would like to have it redesigned - probably stone veneer on the bottom, wallboard on top, a nice mantel, hearth, and new doors. I don't know where to start. I DO NOT want to do this myself and I don't want to hire a general handyman, as I believe this type of work takes specialized experience and expertise. It seems that the fireplace retailers only want to sell fireplaces, chimney places only want to do chimney sweeps, and masons want to build completely new fireplaces. Can someone point me in the right direction to get this project going? I live in central New Jersey.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace face lift

You probably need some kind of general contractor who has specific expertise on fireplaces and contacts with subcontractors to do the special jobs for the renovation you have in mind.

One possible way forwrd is to scan the web for vendors of fireplace mantels. When you find one that might work for you, contact the vendor and ask for a recommended installer.

Another possibility is to go to a retailer who sells fireplace inserts, usually gas logs and the high tech direct vent systems. These retailers typically do installations in existing fireplaces. One of them might be interested in taking on the kind of project you have in mind.

Another strategy is to scan entries in craigslist. But be careful, because anybody can post anything they want on craigslist. In fact, because of the complexity of the project you have in mind, you should take great care to assure yourself that the person(s) you hire have the expertise they say they have.

Good luck.

o

East Coast Fireplace does this. I find them a little pricey but they definitely do what you are asking for.

o

Anyone that does stone can do the stone veneers. Find a good stone mason in your area. Here are before and afters of our facelift. Stone is by El Dorado.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Thanks for the info and congrats on your fireplace. It looks great! We ordered a mantel from www.countreeliving.com and fireplace doors from http://www.thefireplaceplace.com/. We picked out stone veneers from http://www.thestonecenter.com/. We found a mason, http://www.apignamason.com/ to put it all together for us. Hopefully, we'll have our fireplace done within the next week or two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here