Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace and Cement Board (picture included)

Posted by jburr827 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 10, 09 at 11:48

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to install a new gas fireplace and could use a little help. My specific question is: How does the cement board connect to the fireplace itself?

As you can see in the image, it is clear the cement board has to pass over the nailing strips and butt up against the protruding trim (or at least the tile does anyway). On the sides, can I just put a screw through the cement board and nailing strip into the metal stud? I was told that you should not directly connect the cement board to the fireplace due to the contracting of the unit when it heats up (could eventually crack the tile), but I don't see a way to avoid that here.

Also, how would you handle the top of the fireplace where the stud is set back away from the fireplace itself and the nailing strip is much smaller?

Thank you.

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace and Cement Board (picture included)

I would add metal studs close in on each side and across the top. Screw the cement board to these additional studs and then let the cement board edges overlap the fireplace flanges without connecting to them. Since the overlap wouldn't be more than a few inches it'll be rigid enough to tile over. There are a few ways to piece in the metal studs. If you need help with that let me know.

o
RE: Fireplace and Cement Board (picture included)

ventupete,

We did exactly as you suggested and it worked out perfectly. I often have the confidence to do it, but I just don't know how to do it!

I love this forum and greatly appreciate all of the help I have received from you and others.

Thanks again.

John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here