Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesliep_gw

Wood burner placement

LeslieP
10 years ago

I want to install a wood burning stove in a corner, however there is a floor heat vent located very close. I think the stove would clear it. The floor is carpeted. I am looking for solutions to this problem. This is the ideal place for the stove if I can find a way to work around this problem. Could I remove the carpet and have a brick base for the stove installed there? Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)

• christopherh
    10 years ago

What are the clearances for the stove? How big is it? Is it sized correctly for the room? Bigger is not necessarily better.

I have my stove in a corner and I purchased a pad at the stove shop where I got the stove.

I don't worry about heat vents as the stove is the primary heat source for my home here in Vermont.

• Reid0
    10 years ago

ThereâÂÂs not really enough information here to say yes or no to, but you do mention enough that I wonder if youâÂÂll be OK. There are close clearance corner units (12â to combustibles) that offer possibilities. The clearances in front of the stove matter too, not to mention the connectors.

Clearance requirements will depend heavily on manufacturer requirements for the specific woodstove.

The people who sell stoves come in generally two varieties: the ones who know what they are doing and the ones who donâÂÂt. Not knowing what you donâÂÂt know doesnâÂÂt make one a crook, but heâÂÂs not the guy youâÂÂre looking for.

My point is: get a couple people in to measure and make suggestions, and tell them you are concerned about clearances and want to be informed on how they decided on what to sell you. Pay attention to the answers; donâÂÂt buy on price, looks, or the salesmanâÂÂs personality. Make sure they know how to deal with your space properly.

Here is a link that might be useful: wood stove installation tips

• christopherh
    10 years ago

OK, the spam has been posted and now we can get on with the topic at hand.

My advice is to find a stove shop that sells stoves all year round. Unless you absolutely know what you are doing, and know what size stove you need, this is not a DIY installation.

My home is 1250 sq ft and since I don't want the bedrooms at 70 degrees, I only need to really heat the living room and kitchen areas. And my small Regency stove does the job quite nicely here in Vermont. Other brands will also do the job.

Various stove companies have various clearance requirements, from only 6" in a corner installation up to 18 inches. You need to know what you're getting.

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

Floor covering will depend on the stove you choose. Some have r value requirements for the hearth pad, others just ember protection. Also, you will need the hearth pad to extend out a given amount from the front, rear and sides, so keep that in mind.

Stoves all have different clearance requirements for the sides and rear, and a lot of times it varies on the chimney pipe (single or double wall).

I would suggest measuring what you've got for space and posting it on Hearth.com if you want a LOT of suggestions. Otherwise, the suggestions to visit various stove shops with measurements or having them come take them themselves is a very good one. The stove shop we bought from didn't come out first, but we already knew what stove we wanted and that it would fit our requirements. I don't know if they typically will come out or not, it might depend on how far you are from them. If they won't, accurate measurements and photos should suffice.