Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m2mom_gw

Family room fireplace redo (pics inc)

m2mom
15 years ago

Hi Folks,

DH and I are redoing our family room. DH has taken down the ugly acoustic tile ceiling and replaced it with drywall, and now as our next step we want to do something with the floor to ceiling brick fireplace. I am going to replace the brass fireplace cover with something more stylish, and then I will add a nice white wooden mantle. Above this mantel I plan to hang a large original oil painting with bright colors. I would like to know 1) aside from these changes, should I keep the brick facade, which is currently a 70ish looking ugly red brick, and somehow white wash it so that it turns into that more stylish, city-loft looking brick with whitish streaks and lighter grout lines? Or should I just drywall the whole thing, including the brick parts to the left and right of the actual fireplace? (The shelves on the right will be removed-I was just too lazy to do it yet.) Also, 2) what do I do about the space underneath the fireplace? Keep it open and maybe find two baskets that fit perfectly within that space? Or if I wind up using the drywall do I just cover up that opening?

Thanks for reading my long post. By the way to the right of the fireplace we have a wall which is basically all patio window, which will eventually be covered with some type of woven wood shades. The rest of the walls are ugly wood paneling that we will paint with a BM creme/off-white shade.

Thanks for your help!

Anna

Here is a link that might be useful: Our ugly fireplace

Comment (1)