Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
16'raised hearth

Posted by mary999 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 11 at 0:18

home remodel steps down to hearth area. The stove is gas 31.5' high. the contractor and subs advised me to raise the stove as it didn't look right, advised to raise it 16" high and have a raised hearth. Now I am faced with a 65"-69" mantle height the lowest I can make it with clearances is 62" which is taking away from the breast height making it only 5.5" and the granite surround reducing it to 5". 62" still seems high for an eight' ceiling, Any suggestions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 16'raised hearth

Sounds like bad advice; but I would have to look at it. We have a 16" raised hearth on our large fireplace in our living room. However, it has 10' ceilings. I just redid the hearth and surround-- it looks great. On the other hand, we are doing an addition and we decided that a floor level hearth is a much better idea for that use. In fact, If I were doing it over, I would not have put the raised hearth in the living room either. Its biggest advantage is in acting as a bench when we have a lot of company in warmer months and as a place to sit for a few minutes and get warm very quickly on cold nights in the winter. It takes a big room for it to look right, I think.

Will

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here