Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmslayer

Which is the best electric fireplace?

rmslayer
19 years ago

Hello,

I am looking for an electric fireplace - built in model. I will do my own mantel. Question? Which is the most realisitic looking fireplace? I saw Dimplex and looks pretty good. Then I heard that Heatilator makes one that has won awards for the best looking fireplace on the market.

Can someone let me know which one is better or would recommend.

Thanks.

Comments (11)

• Marcia Thornley
    19 years ago

I have a Dimplex. I am not familiar with the Heatilator. We love our Dimplex. Most people are stunned when we tell them it is electric. I'd have to see both and compare.

• srlarsen
    19 years ago

I just ordered the Heatilator because that's all I could find around my area, but don't have it yet. When I ordered it, the sales guy kept warning me that one of his customers had it and was a bit disappointed with how it looked. So now I'm really second-guessing my decision! I will try to report back in a few weeks when ours is up and running. Feel free to e-mail me directly if I forget to post again.
    Stacie.

• srlarsen
    19 years ago

Just got our Heatilator ambient electric installed and wanted to report back on the looks of it. It looks fine - not realistic, but not cheesy, either. There is a high gloss piece of glass in the back of the box and the "flame" lights up on that piece of glass, if that makes sense. I'm pleasantly surprised. Again, it doesn't look REAL, but you wouldn't expect it to look like a wood burning fireplace!

• rick_fireplace_guy
    18 years ago

the best electric unit I have seen uses hologram technology along with a built in DVD player and projection system that has a realistic looking fire and also has a realistic "looped" recording of a fire burning. The realism is REMARKABLE the only thing missing is the smell of the wood!! The unit is produced by Lennox

• rmslayer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Stacie,

Thanks for reporting on the heatilator. I didn't see your response on time so I went ahead and ordered the Dimplex built-in 36" fireplace. A few months back, I went to a fireplace store and they had the dimplex on display. I was amazed by how it looked like. From a distant, it looked pretty realistic. Up close you can tell that it's not real as it uses a mirror/glass to show off the flames (not sure how to really explain it). It still looks good even up close. What really attacted me was the fact that I can adjust the brightness of the flames and the intensity of the heat and speed of the flames (low or roaring fire). So that's why I went for the dimplex. Note: I was looking at the 30inch version (non-built in). I went for the 36 inch built in. When I got it two days ago, I was disappointed to find that it didn't have the features of the 30 inch (which I assumed it did). The 36 inch built in didn't have the ajustable flame, light and heat. It had just Flame on only, Flame and Heat. It had a same fireplace display which was attracted me to buy the dimplex. Now that I think about it, how many times will I be adjusting the flames? Probably not. So bottom line is that I'm satified with the Dimplex. From a distanct it really looks like a really fire. My mom came over last night and she was amazed how nice it looked. Likewise for my wife when she came home and noticed the fireplace. She was pleasantly surprized.

• twor
    18 years ago

I have one that is a Kozy Heat model. I think it looks amazingly realistic. It has adjustable back lighting, flame, and heat.

• kospa
    16 years ago

Berkley Fireplace in Cherry with glowing logs and ember bed for realistic look.

Here is a link that might be useful: electric fireplaces

• greencleaning
    13 years ago

Dimplex is ok. The best electric fireplaces allow you to vary the appearance of the fire from lazy flames to a raging fire.

If you like to enjoy your fireplace a year-round, you can operate the flames and sound in the fireplace without switching on the built-in heater.

For the most beautiful fireplace, you should install a complete kit with a fireplace surround and mantel.

• sharon020368_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Celsi also looks good I have just seen their videos they look very real for an electric fire. The sleep timer is a good idea if you are thinking of putting it in the bedroom.

• candace350239_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have recently renewed my fireplace and have gone for the Celsi from American Electric Fireplaces. It has proved to be one of my best ever purchases. The functionality of the fire is outstanding and the flame picture is the best I have seen. I am delighted with it and would highly recommend the Celsi.