Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hearth Remodel

Posted by sean01701 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 13, 11 at 20:38

Fellow firestarters,

Renovationg an old raised hearth for a wood stove. Currently have an old / cracked terra cotta tile floor with the brick backing. Thinking of taking up the TC and replacing with 1/4'' slate tiles, (black / charcoal & sealed for the wet look, tight 1/16'' spacing), and facing the brick backing with finished grey granite, similar what is on countertops. It would be a rectangular / square / subway type pattern, mostly gray but would work in some lighter blacks. I have lots of polished scrap slabs I can piece together. Will finish the look with a rough sawn or urethaned maple, (as I'm putting in maple floors soon) and some kind of moulding on the bottom where the mantle meets the granite, with rope lighting.

Looking for advice or thoughts on the look. Any tips or advice appreciated. It might be over the top - don't want anything too busy.

Later

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here