Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellacucina_gw

Help! Fridge leaked and new qtrsawn white oak floors are cupped

bellacucina
13 years ago

This past Friday, our GC hooked up our new fridge and apparently the supplied connection failed and water for the icemaker leaked onto the new hard wood floor. He immediately shut off the water and replaced the connection. Later that night I noticed some cupping and dampness where the planks join together, in front of the fridge (about a 2x3' area, not counting beneath the fridge, which we didn't pull out). GC said that the floor guy will be able to take care of this ---he is scheduled to do the last 2 coats of poly this coming Friday/Saturday.

I really wanted wood in our kitchen, much to my DH's dismay (he wanted tile). We have Bruce elsewhere in the house where there's no really potential for water leakage --- so I hope these questions aren't too naive, but I wanted to get an idea here of what to expect as far as right "fix" before the GC comes tomorrow--- will it be sufficient to sand and restain and repoly that area? Can that be done? What about the moisture on the subfloor beneath that wet area?

Is pulling up the planks an option? If the planks aren't pulled up, is there danger of mildew/mold?

Thanks!

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus