Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyse2502

traditional home - Direct vent fireplace recommendations needed

I am looking to purchase a direct vent fireplace to be built in to a very traditional home in a new family room surrounded by a white wood mantle with built in bookcases surrounding it and a flat screen tv over it. This is in a kitchen/family room combo and the primary purpose is not heat but in the morning cold it could be used to take the chill out of the air (I live in the northeast), The entire room size is 38'x17' including the kitchen. I have looked at heat and glo and gotten prices of around $3500. Was wondering if this seems worth it and are there any other fireplaces that are good quality that price out better? I would like a brick looking back and simple louvered front and a remote. Thank you

Comments (4)

• Zapero
    11 years ago

I just bought a Gas Insert for my fireplace remodel. It was a QuadraFire QFI30. They make it in a larger model as well the QFI35.

I was looking at the Heat and Glo's also, but they had a deal on the QFI30 I think with everything I paid 2200.00 and I get a rebate for 250 so I will pay a total of 1950.00

Its a great fireplace, puts out alot of radiant heat. Has fan but I dont even use it. Maybe check these out.

• newenglandladybug
    11 years ago

I'm in a similar situation and have been favoring VT castings. Haven't liked that the Heat n Glo models all have a logo on the front panel. Just don't like that look myself, but I'm picky. I have heard that it's important to go to a place that has the model installed and running so that you can hear the fan. One neutral website I looked at seemed to allude to the fact that cheaper models will have cheaper parts (like fans) that might be noisier.

• newenglandladybug
    11 years ago

I'm in a similar situation and have been favoring VT castings. Haven't liked that the Heat n Glo models all have a logo on the front panel. Just don't like that look myself, but I'm picky. I have heard that it's important to go to a place that has the model installed and running so that you can hear the fan. One neutral website I looked at seemed to allude to the fact that cheaper models will have cheaper parts (like fans) that might be noisier.

• Jaime
    11 years ago

You may want to look into Valor fireplaces. They're made in Canada and are a radiant heat fireplace. I was drawn to their extreme variability as far as heat settings. I found that a lot of fireplaces have scorching high, slightly less scorching high, and off. Valor has a lot of flexibility and is able to be fine tuned a bit more on heat settings. I also like the simple look, and chose a very plain insert for my own home. It is being installed tomorrow (yay!), so I can't speak for how well it works yet. Definitely worth looking into though, as they come highly recommended by the multiple installers that I spoke with. Good luck!