Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dormant fireplace windscreen

Posted by gardenweb88 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 19:25

Does anyone know where I can buy a windscreen for a dormant fireplace? The fireplace we have is about 2' H x 3' W. Cold air flows down from the chimney and into the living room straight into the sitting area. I'd like to maybe purchase a low cost screen, <$50, to block the wind or maybe deflect it. There's currently a chain link mesh type sliding curtain on it now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dormant fireplace windscreen

I had that problem and found that anything short of sealing it still let the cold air in.

I started with a piece of insulation board in front of the opening. I could still feel cold air coming in.

I ended up turning off the gas, closing up the vent (that by code is fixed in the open position), and then stuffing in some bubble wrap to fill the space and help insulate it. Even after doing that, I could still feel the cold air, so I ultimately sealed off the entire fireplace surround with a piece of paneling which I painted to match the wall.

o

Stuffing bubble wrap into the flue isn't insulating a thing. Adding a screen does even less.

Close the damper.

Purchase a sheet of closed cell insulation board from any Big Box store, measure the opening of the flue, cut the board slightly larger and insert it into the flue opening. Actually double the board and you will get double the insulating factor.

Shut off the gas control valve if one exists.

You may be able to buy 1/2 of a sheet.

I should mention the flue opening is where the damper is, don't cover the opening where the chain link screen is the flue is the bottom of the chimney.

Covering with plywood doesn't stop the cold infiltration either.

This post was edited by SouthernCanuck on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 2:30

o

The problem with my fireplace turned out to be more than the air coming down the flue.

I thought at first that closing the damper and blocking the flue - as SouthernCanuck suggests - would solve the problem. But it didn't. I could still feel cold air flowing in. My fireplace is built in a corner, and I suspect they failed to insulate the outer walls in that corner. The half-inch thick strand board that covers the fireplace is working to keep out the draft and the cold.

o

The problem with your fireplace is that 1. the stack is an exterior stack 2. the stack is far too short for the house 3. your damper isn't sealing.

Most important is #2. If the stack was high enough, you would never get a downdraft (insulation has nothing to do with it btw); thus a poor sealing damper and exterior stack wouldn't be issues that compound the core problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here