Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Drywall Above Fireplace

Posted by mcb1981 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 08 at 19:05

I have an electric fireplace coming out of the main wall that is enclosed by drywall. The problem is that the drywall encloses the fireplace and goes all the way up to the ceiling.

I would like to remove the drywall above a certain height so I can put a mantle on top of the fireplace instead of the drywall extending all the way up to the ceiling.

As far as I know, the drywall above the fireplace is completely hollow.

I have someone professional coming in to put the mantle on for me, but I would like to save some money and remove the drywall myself.

Would this be difficult to do? Any advice would be much appreciated.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Drywall Above Fireplace

Here is a picture:

o
RE: Removing Drywall Above Fireplace

If you a little bit about carpentry, it won't be any problem since it is an electric fireplace with no flue. If you have never tackled any drywall projects and did any reframing, get someone else to do it. It involves a little more than just cutting out the drywall. You are going to have to cut off the studs going to the ceiling and reframe where they will put the mantel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here