Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Updating old tired fireplace/hearth

Posted by migirl_2010 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 18:21

I have a long narrow family room 17' x 11'. One end opens to the kitchen (Blue-Ivory colors) it ends with the fireplace/hearth taking up the entire wall. (Note: this is also where the TV has to be.)

I want to build book shelves/TV cabinet on each side of the fireplace. Put in a new mantel (more reg size) and tile around the fireplace opening to update it. (The tile guy said he can do this over the existing brick.)

Suggestions on what type/color tile to use? (I'm trying to open the space up, but want the fireplace to be the focal point of the room.) I am thinking a soft sage - beige color scheme.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Updating old tired fireplace/hearth

With bookcases on either side of the fireplace, the firebox opening will be recessed next to the bookcases. I would check out websites, home decorator magazines, and whatever other sources you might think of to find out what that will look like, and whether it will please you. You might want to consider installing some kind of frame or mantle around the firebox to give it visual importance so it will "stand up" to the bookcases.

The other consideration is one of safety. With brick surrounding the firebox all around and a brick hearth, you have plenty of noncombustible buffer. But make sure that your bookcases start some distance from the edge of the firebox, or they may pose a fire hazard. That distance, sometimes called "clearance", will vary with the particular fireplace. Prefabs usually come with an owner's manual that specifies the clearances. In your case, you might want to get a certified chimney sweep's opinion.

For your questions about color scheme, you might want to post a query on the decorator forum.

o
RE: Updating old tired fireplace/hearth

You might look at travertine tiles as those would be in your color palette or even some granite tiles. If you go travertine pick tiles that don't have a lot of fill holes as these might open up due to the expansion and contraction from the heat, granite is an excellent choice if you find one you like. As far as the required clearance goes, you should check your local building code as it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here