Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealing drafty gas fireplace

Posted by greenbean08 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 16:28

I have a gas fireplace that has a pretty significant breeze coming from the bottom vent area when the north wind blows.

Here's the problem (click to enlarge):

From misc

This does not lead directly outdoors. The breeze seems to come through the direct-vent chimney, around the back of the fireplace and out this hole. What can I safely use to seal around this gas pipe under my fireplace? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealing drafty gas fireplace

There are 2 vents in a direct vent system, and the vents are typically composed of insulated fireproof flexible pipes. I have a feeling it will be necessary to replace the whole vent that leaks. This is probably a job for a professional.

o

I think haus_proud misread your post, it sounds like what your saying is the cold air comes down the chimney and enters your living space via that hole that was cut to connect the gas line. I suspect that there isn't any significant heat in that area so perhaps you could use plumbers putty to fill the area around the gas supply and the enclosure to prevent the cold air from entering. If heat is present you will need to find a product that will not be effected by it.

o

Thanks haus proud and paul4x4. I'm having my furnace serviced next week and I'll have the guy look at it when he comes. I am overdue for the service anyway so it's probably safer to have them tell me.
Thanks again!

o

The service guy cut 2 small squared U-shape pieces of sheet metal, slipped one on each side of the pipe and taped it with the shiny duct-sealing tape.

o

Thanks for the follow up! Sounds like a great solution, I will keep that in mind for any similar problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here