Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cactuscatie

Problem with Majestic Gas Fireplace

cactuscatie
16 years ago

We have a Majestic rear vent gas fireplace which is 4 months old. From day 1 it hasn't worked properly. Here's the problem. When it is turned on it clicks on and off and on a couple of times before staying on. Than after being on for a little while it clicks on and off and on again. Than after awhile it clicks off and stays off. We then have to hit the off button and then the on button to get the fireplace to light.

We called mfg and they said to check the position of the logs. We repositioned them at least 3 times and the problem is still happening.

We called the dealer and he had no solution.

Our contractor that installed the fireplace has washed his hands of the problem and said he has no idea what's wrong. He actually blames us for moving the logs around.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or advise on what we can do at this point.

Comments (15)

• jca1
    16 years ago

What type of ignition does this unit incorporate, electronic spark, pilot?

What exactly clicks on and off, the control valve, a hand held remote, etc?

• jca1
    16 years ago

OK it's going to be hard to say on this forum what the problem is. My guess would be the flame sensor. Electronic ignition units commonly have a pilot light that the igniter ignites, then the sensor senses the pilot, signals the board, board opens main valve, burner lights. Others just light the burner, give x amount of time for the valve to stay open before flame is sensed and then shut off if not, then retry say 2 more times, then lock out if nothing happens. If you actually do have a pilot that lights first, then the pilot may be source of the problem and a good cleaning of the pilot would fix it, if it's the pilot. If you really have no pilot at all, then it could be the sensor, the sensor wire, or the board. The manufacturer should be able to give your tech. testing parameters for each part, i.e. "x" ohms on cold sensor, etc. On some models a wire can be used in the flame as a sensor instead of the sensor, your tech. should be able to tell if possible with your unit.

• ruthmiamibeach
    16 years ago

May I ask what unit/model you have? I'm about to install a Vermont Castings gas fireplace. Uh oh.

• garyg
    16 years ago

Catie:

You can also post your question on:

www.Hearth.com

Good luck.

• zzallen
    16 years ago

I agree with jcal that it is very difficult to diagnose here. My first suggestion is try to find a gas fireplace technician with electronic ignition experience in your area. You will need some luck here. Many fireplace shops only service the brands they sell. Your gas supplier may be able to recommend someone. Many furnaces use controls like your fireplace .... but a furnace technician may not understand fireplace venting issues. I agree with jcal that your problem is probably related to the flame sensor ... but i think it is likely the sensor is working properly. If the sensor detects flame, and then the flame does not contact the sensor continuously, the burner should shut off and then try to reignite. After several attempts to ignite, if the sensor does not sense continuous flame, the control should "lock-out" or stop attempting to ignite. I suggest you try to observe the flame contact on the flame sensor. Good flame impingement here will cause the sensor to glow red. If the flame is too weak to contact the sensor steady...look for adjustment or obstruction. If the flame lifts off the sensor...look for a leak in the vent(or other venting issues). If the flame is blowing away from sensor...look for a missing shield or a log out of place. GOOD LUCK

• oops21630
    15 years ago

Live in Montreal, Canada.
    Experiecing a similar problem with my Majestic Vermont Castings Rear Vent fireplace.
    The flame sesor was not working so the "technician" replaced the circuit board.
    Did not fix problem. Now states there is an obstruction in the vent pipe, most likely ice?
    Extremely leary with little confidence in this diagnosis.
    All comments would be welcome

• oops21630
    15 years ago

Recently learned that the fireplace has an oxygen problem.
    Not getting enough air from outside through the vent pipe.
    Believe the pipe to be obstructed, presumably with ice.
    Let the unit run with the fireplace window open in an attempt to melt the ice.
    Did not work.
    SOS

• mhdrah_194_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I have Hearth Gas Fireplace, model # BE36C. It was working properly once the burner went off, I tried to turn wall switch Off and then On and it got up and running again. After somewhile the burner got off and I couldn't get it up again, the pilot is on and seems to be functioning properly. I tested the wall swith and it is Ok. I think that something is wrong with the flame sensor.

• reza2008
    15 years ago

I have a Hearth Gas Fireplace, model # BE36C. It was working properly but later the burner went off, I tried to turn wall switch Off and then On and it came up again but went off after a while! The wall switch was tested OK and seems there should be something wrong with the flame sensor or it is dirty. The pilot is on and OK. Any comment appreciated.

Regards,
    Reza2008

• SeattlePioneer
    15 years ago

Usually the dealer hires an installer to put in the equipment. Installers usually aren't skilled repairmen.

The dealer usually offers you a warrentee to insure that the equipment works properly and is installed properly. I'd build a fire under your dealer to get them to perform.

At a minimum there is a warrentee of merchentability --- that the equipment works as it's supposed to, which it isn't. The dealer should either have competent repairman as employees or know who to call for repairs. And they should fix the problem under their guarantee.

But don't delay. Pursue this now.

• Paul T Dunphy
    8 years ago

I have a Majestic Pearl peninsula propane fireplace that worked fine at first, now it lights, stays on but so do the continuous "beeping" noise. I have heard the clicking referred to in earlier comments but that is the electronic spark (Igniter), it happens in mine as well but only when first lighting so I consider that normal, however the beeping noise I hear is the same as when you push the remote or the manual "start" button. Problem is the beeps continue after ignition, continuously. Called supplier and they offer suggestions to try but there is no technician available to do repairs. Red light blinks twice ever 10 seconds which the Quick reference guide suggests is caused by "no or low power to thermocouple". Has anyone out there experienced this problem? Is the solution to replace the thermocouple? Did anyone try cleaning it? If so what does this involve? Instructions? In anticipation of a positive response, thanks for your help !

• fanflair
    8 years ago

Did anyone figure out what the original problem was? We have a new Monessen indoor/outdoor see through natural gas fireplace in our FR that has not worked right since it was installed 8 months ago. Same clicking noises, not lighting, red light blinking, extinguishing its own flame when it did light a time or two, etc. May be a coincidence but seems worse after a cold night (of 20-25 degrees). We've had 6 repairs, including by a senior tech but no one can figure out what's wrong with it. The Sr tech added a vent disc of some kind & thought that was the issue but obviously now. Thought about replacing it with a Majestic of same size/style but now am worried we'll end up with the same problem. Anyone figure out the issue?

• bkotte
    8 years ago

Interesting comments!!! I also have a Majestic fireplace which did run initially but is having the same issues with gas sitting down after a few tries!! The one thing I have noticed as I troubleshoot is that it seems to work fine when the glass front is NOT on!!!! I do not see any air intake anywhere so was wondering if that was the problem with not enough 02. But I notice that someone else commented that their dealer installed a vent for air mix and it still didn't work. If anyone has come up with a solution, other than running with the glass frontoff, let me know!!!!

• cappytanjack
    7 years ago

John Hudson says: Majestic Fireplaces are just crap period. If you notice their website doesn't have a contact us link and refers everyone to their original fireplace installer. That should be the first red flag of a "piss poor" manufacturer. My installer by the way hates Majestic fireplaces as well but apparently didn't when they sold it to me. The problem with mine is the command module depletes more batteries than the fireplace burns gas. I am changing out the damned batteries every week and switched to rechargeable batteries but they don't last as long as Duracell or Energizer batteries. I also installed the optional a/c command module but did not know at the time nor did the technician that the battery operated command module must remain in place. Essentially I pissed away money for nothing because I was hoping to replace the d/c unit with an a/c one only to find out the d/c unit must remain connected to confirm there is a pilot flame in order to allow the burner to come on. New AA batteries have 1.6 volts in them when purchased. Once they reach 1. 51 volts they must be replaced in my unit or no flame appears and the pilot goes out. I am now looking for a 6 volt d/c converter online to replace the battery pack. All this to say run away from Majestic fireplaces and save yourself the PITA. My Heatilator fireplace on the other hand works flawlessly.