Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
42" Fireplace Options

Posted by tminatl (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 15:48

We just got news from our builder that the fireplaces we had chosen won't work given framing clearance issues. In essence, the framing in the chase is 17" wide and the fireplaces (both Heatilator Icons) at 42" require 18.5" clearance due to a bigger vent pipe than her usual fireplace (Heatilator Accelarators). She did say that we could go with the Icon but only 36" wide.

We don't like the look of the Accelerator due to it being only 23 3/8" tall versus the 28.5" for the Icons. It looks too contemporary and we wanted a bigger fireplace.

A couple questions:

- Does anyone know a fireplace that has a 42"W x 28.5" tall (or taller) that use the smaller vent pipe?

- Any creative solutions for a framing issue like this? She and the framer think the only solution is to tear down the whole chase and restart. We are well past just the framing stages and I'm not sure that it is completely her fault, so expense will come into play.

- Other options that might work?

Best,

tm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Kozy Heat Z42

Kozy Heat Model Z42 makes a 42' wide x 38' Tall and uses 6" piping instead of the 8" which most use.. I just had a bid on Saturday for $4,967.53 for a complete install based on 24' of chimney. I just started researching the Z42 this weekend but it seems to have pretty good ratings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Z42

This post was edited by LOTO on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 6:28

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here