Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pre fab fireplace repair

Posted by misterx (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 14:14

We have a majestic pre fab in use 22 years. The chimney cap had leaked and rotted out an area appx. 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch. We had a whole new chase and cap installed. I purchased Dow 2000 degree caulk, and repaired the gap perfectly(as per directions with heat)The whole fire box looks good, however my buddy works with stainless steel and told me he could make the exact size insert for the top, and just screw it in place with stainless screws. would this new layer effect anything in a negative manner. Regards Misterx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pre fab fireplace repair

You could ask the manufacturer, but they'll probably either refuse to answer or say don't do it because of concern about liability. Strictly speaking, they would be right to take that position because if the modification, even one that seems trivial, has not been put through a rigorous testing, they would be going out on a limb if they approved it.

You might want to check the building codes in your TOWN, to make sure that what you do is not a violation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here