Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

help with fireplace/chimney vents

Posted by upstatejeff (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 13:52

This may be something that has been discussed before but I'm not familiar with the terminology so I haven't been able to find information. Our fireplace has 4 vents around it (see pic - holes stuffed with insulation). My question is what these holes are called and what exactly they are for. We're also trying to figure out how to prevent drafts from coming in (without having them stuffed with insulation). We haven't used the fireplace yet but we'd like to (which would require removing the insulation). Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here