Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What type of firelog set needed to connect to a wall switch?

Posted by tiecha (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 13:42

Hello, I purchased my house about a year ago ,and it's about 2 yrs old. Here's my problem: when i moved in, the actual firelogs were missing, and there were some wires sticking out in the inside of the fireplace. There is a wall switch right above the fireplace, so i'm assuming that the fireplace can be operated electrically! I believe it requires a ventless natural log set, because when i look up inside, there is no way to open the shute at all. I'm not at all sure how the wires come into play either ...Do i need a certain type of log set that has a place to attach wires? Do all natural ventfree/ventless log sets have a place to attach wires?

Another question is should i be concerned at all with the carbon monoxide issue? PLEASE HELP...i've been in my house a year now, and haven't done anything to the fireplace because i'm not sure what is needed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What type of firelog set needed to connect to a wall switch?

Do you mean that there is no flue pipe going up? If so, it is made for a ventless system. If it's just a matter of a stuck flue damper, that can be fixed. To your main question, most manufacturer's log sets come with an optional automatic control valve. This is what connects to the wall switch. It turns on the gas and ignites it automatically. Is there also a manual shut off valve for the gas? If so, you can operate it manually without paying for the additional control valve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here