Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fireplace and TV - side by side

Posted by gma_j (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 07 at 12:52

I've seen all the debates about the TV over the fireplace, so this is a little different.
We have a long rock wall designed in our preliminary plans that will have our fireplace (or perhaps stove on a hearth) and it is being designed that the rock will also be where we have our large TV (beside the fireplace).
I am starting to rethink this as I haven't seen anything similar discussed here.
Have any of you done this? I would especially appreciate pictures as I am a visual person and have a hard time seeing things in my mind.
Thanks for anything you could share. Jeanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fireplace and TV - side by side (btt)

I'v must bumping this to the top to try to get information. Thank you, Jeanie

o
RE: fireplace and TV - side by side

You might want to post this on the decorating forum. I've seen plenty photo's there of different fireplace placements.

o

We are also doing this. I have a stone fireplace and we have had the boxes built on the sides for bookcases and cabinets which will hold a 42" flat screen tv. We are using doors that will open and slide back.

o

sanborn5, glad to hear someone else has the same idea we have. I hadn't thought about the doors that slide back - good idea. Do you happen to have any pictures to share?
Thanks, Jeanie

o

I will get some for you, the new house is an hour south of where we live now and we are heading that way tomorrow.
I don't know if I know how to post a picture here, but I do know how to email from shutterfly if you want to give me your email address. Or if someone can explain how to post a picture I will try. Susan

o

We were running late and didn't get to the site. I will get there next week and post. I promise!!!! Susan

o

Susan, thank you so much. I truly appreciate your taking the time to do this for me.

o

We are also planning on flanking our stone fireplace with bookcases on one side and 42" tv on the other. we will be placing the TV on an angle. I would love to see pics also.

o

Hi cody07, hopefully Susan will have time to post hers for us....and maybe others will, also. Jeanie

o

GMA j I have not forgotten you. Believe it or not, between vacations and 1 bout of the flu and pneumonia and now ear infection and sinus infections I have not been to the job sit in over two weeks. Maybe over the weekend I will if I am feeling better. But I will get pictures.

o

Hi Susan, thanks for the update and hope you feel much better (hope you are taking care of yourself )....looking forward to the pictures. It's hard to believe you are the only one on the board to have done this the tv and fireplace side by side.
Thanks again for the update.

o

Hello! We are also doing the same placement so I would really welcome pics as well!! DH is trying to convince be to change the TV to above the fireplace but I really don't want to. I am hoping pics will help him visualize how nice it will be!! I hope you are feeling better soon! Thanks! Jill

o

Jill and Cody, have either of you found pictures in magazines or online?

o

I began this project in Jan. and have been looking online, in books and in magazines and haven't seen the ideal situation since we are placing the TV on an angle. We are also redoing the fireplace surround with stone. This is part of our kitchen project since the family room is open to the kitchen and the cabinets will match our island.
I was hoping to see some photos here for ideas. have you found anything? I agree that it is hard to believe that no one else has done this. I definitely don't want the TV over the fireplace, I think it will be too high. I also don't want it to be the focal point.

o

Sorry this took so long but I do have the pictures now. As I had said, we have done a stone fireplace with cabinetry on both sides. On the right will be our 40" flat screen with a shelf that will slide out and the doors can be closed or open, but they will slide back so they won't be in the way. This is just the boxes at this time. There will be white trim, mantel and the finished cabinets with bookcase on both sides. Now the problem, I don't know how to post on this site. I have shutterfly so I can put the pictures there. If anyone wants to tell me how to post on here and I can understand it GREAT, otherwise if you want to send me your email address I can send pictures. Let me know, Susan

o

Hi Susan, thank you for taking the pictures. I would love to see them and would send you my e-mail address......but, I can't figure out how to send it to you. Thanks, Jeanie

o

Send it to sanborn5@aol.com, then I will send you a photo album from shutterfly.

o
e-nmail ent

Susan, sent you an e-mail.
Jeanie

o

Susan,
I sent you an email as well. Thanks for taking the pics! Jill

o

Is it still possible to see those pictures? I am considering the same set-up but my cabinet designer thinks above the FP is better (he's into symmetry and side placement disrupts his "balance").

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here