Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can screenng be installed on fireplace cap?

Posted by stash-hdy (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 12:20

Have a wood burning fireplace that has been converted to use natural gas logs.
I have a cap on the chimney that is open on all four sides; the metal flue
inside the cap has a screen on top of it. I am getting bees in the house
through the chimney flue and I would like to add a screen to the open sides of
the cap to keep out the bees. Can a screen be added and if so what size
openings in the screen are permitted?"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can screenng be installed on fireplace cap?

Wht you do not want to do is convert a vented gas logs setup into an unvented one. You want a screen that will keep the bees out, but not have a bad effect on air flow, so that fumes from the fire will still get out.

If I were you, I would contact a certified chimney sweep or a gas logs onstaller/contractor and explain your problem and ask for a free estimate to fix it. If he agrees to do that, you can ask him to explain what exactly he would do, and you can decide for yourself whether or not to do it yourself.

o
RE: Can screenng be installed on fireplace cap?

Decided not to use any screen, the screen size that was permissible would not keep out the insects.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here