Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mason charges?

Posted by birdpuppie (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 08 at 11:55

Does anyone know the going rate for a mason to install cultured rock, on a wall, around a gas fireplace.
I am looking at having about 70 sq ft. placed.
I will be using the Owen Corning Fieldstone product.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mason charges?

If I were you, I would ask the merchant who sells the product to recommend 2-3 installers. Then you can check them out, and make sure you ask for references and follow up on them, so you can see the quality of work they did for others.

o

We just had our existing 5'-7" wide X 9'-2" tall fireplace refaced with cultured river rock wall stone and corner stones, and a 1 piece blue stone hearth and total for labor and materials was $2,500, and took the mason 3 days to complete and it turned out absolutely perfect. We are in northeast connecticut.

o

Edinct..

Your project sounds very much like what I am doing.
I am using an Old Country Fieldstone.
As I am in a remote area the mason has asked that I purchase all materials, his labour cost will be $17/sq. ft.
I estimate my material cost as:
Scratchcoat material-mesh, fastners, thinset $125.00
Mortars and sand - $100.00
Cultured Stone $700-800.00

My area is now 60 sq. ft. including the hearth area.

I would say our costs are going to be very close to what you paid.

o

Birdpuppie,
if your brick is not painted, you should not have to install the mesh, the brick is porous enough for the new mortar to hold, unless your mason likes to do it that way. Ours just installed the stone right on the existing brick, no mesh. I will try to post before and after pic with-in the next day or two.

o

Ed in CT

I live in ridgefield,Ct and am installing a new fireplace. I would love to see pictures you have. Also, who was your mason and where did you purchase materials from?
thanks.

o

jblk,
sorry I have not posted pics yet, I am totally consumed by work right, busiest we have been.
I will get pics up soon.
ED

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here