Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdpuppie

mason charges?

birdpuppie
16 years ago

Does anyone know the going rate for a mason to install cultured rock, on a wall, around a gas fireplace.

I am looking at having about 70 sq ft. placed.

I will be using the Owen Corning Fieldstone product.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• fandlil
    16 years ago

If I were you, I would ask the merchant who sells the product to recommend 2-3 installers. Then you can check them out, and make sure you ask for references and follow up on them, so you can see the quality of work they did for others.

• edinct
    16 years ago

We just had our existing 5'-7" wide X 9'-2" tall fireplace refaced with cultured river rock wall stone and corner stones, and a 1 piece blue stone hearth and total for labor and materials was $2,500, and took the mason 3 days to complete and it turned out absolutely perfect. We are in northeast connecticut.

• birdpuppie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Edinct..

Your project sounds very much like what I am doing.
    I am using an Old Country Fieldstone.
    As I am in a remote area the mason has asked that I purchase all materials, his labour cost will be $17/sq. ft.
    I estimate my material cost as:
    Scratchcoat material-mesh, fastners, thinset $125.00
    Mortars and sand - $100.00
    Cultured Stone $700-800.00

My area is now 60 sq. ft. including the hearth area.

I would say our costs are going to be very close to what you paid.

• edinct
    16 years ago

Birdpuppie,
    if your brick is not painted, you should not have to install the mesh, the brick is porous enough for the new mortar to hold, unless your mason likes to do it that way. Ours just installed the stone right on the existing brick, no mesh. I will try to post before and after pic with-in the next day or two.

• jblk
    15 years ago

Ed in CT

I live in ridgefield,Ct and am installing a new fireplace. I would love to see pictures you have. Also, who was your mason and where did you purchase materials from?
    thanks.

• edinct
    15 years ago

jblk,
    sorry I have not posted pics yet, I am totally consumed by work right, busiest we have been.
    I will get pics up soon.
    ED

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars113 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz