Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cabalist_gw

Wood Burning Stoves & Heaters

cabalist
14 years ago

I am looking for a good wood-burning stove to help heat my house. I love the enameled (porcelain?) wood burning stoves from Europe, esp the Scandanavian and german speaking countries.

Is there any way to find new stoves like that in the US?

If not (and maybe even if so) what do people think of the Jotul and Morso stoves?

Any other favorite brands (including US/Canadian)?

Does anybody have any favorite models or suggestions?

Thanks

Comments (2)

• fandlil
    14 years ago

Jotul stoves are available in the US. Their parts are made in Norway, and assembled in Maine. The company has a very good reputation for quality. Our only personal experience with them is that we got a gas fired fireplace insert that they make, and we are very happy with it. But there is one drawback with Jotul -- they do not have a REAL customer service 800#. It is intended primarily for contractors and installers, so you won't get very far if you have a question and need to call them. But that shouldn't prevent you from getting Jotul -- just make sure your contractor/installer is reliable and competent, so you can go back to him or her to fix any problems.

Jotul stove, I believe, are only available in cast iron. But check their website to make sure. Aside from Jotul, you might want to check out stoves make of soapstone, an attractive material that comes in a variety of colors and that retains heat for a very long time, so it will radiate heat into the room for a long time after the fire is out.

Another consideration is that, the feds are giving a TAX CREDIT that can save you a lot of money if you get a stove that meets certain energy saving standards. Detailed info about the tax credit (not a deduction; an actual credit, which is a much more generous benefit) are available on the web, but I don't know the web address. Go to google and put in energy star tax credit -- that should get you to that site.

• mainegrower
    14 years ago

Go to www.hearth.com for all the information you could want on the many, many brands of stoves available in the US. Jotul, Morso, Pacific Energy, Quadrafire, Englander, Woodstock are among the brands with excellent reputations.

My own stove is a Jotul with which I am very happy. The comment above about Jotul's lack of customer service is a bit misleading. Jotul screens their dealers very carefully and relies on them to be the front line of customer service, so choosing a local dealer with a good reputation is important. If there is an issue a dealer cannot handle, however, Jotul is very good about sending out factory reps.