Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

Cozy Heat Z42 paint warning

Shannon01
16 years ago

So I was adding the granite tile surround. I used blue painters tape to keep the grout from getting on the black facing of fireplace. Everything came out perfect! Then I removed the tape, again perfect line of grout.

But, there is always a But. The tape took off some bits of black paint. I called store and they said that should not happen and gave me can of spray paint. I tried it on the grill and it was great, dried real fast. So yesterday I sprayed the outer frame and as you do light coats I was watching it dry when.... the original paint began to blister, and really badly.

I called store to learn that this is a problem with the paint. They said Cozy Heat fixed the problem but mine must have been sold before the fix. Something is wrong with the factory finish.

So...... they recommended sanding the entire unit facing off. THE ENTIRE THING! They would charge me $95 to fix it for me. I said no way. I called Cozy Heat and they said this was a problem and to have store contact warranty dept to see about them paying the store to come fix this. There is no way I am going to do all this work myself.

They assured me that once the original finish is removed and resprayed, the problem will not happen again.

I will keep you posted as the store has not called me back with the final word on what will exactly be done.

Comments (3)

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Interesting........I just had a problem with some marble / grout cleaner - a mini -drop got on the heat shield for a nano second and the paint blistered!! We assumed it was the cleaner. My tiler got the heat shield repainted with Kozy Heat paint at a auto body shop his BIL owned. He is a very experienced tiler with many years of work and was shocked at the blistering. I have a Minnetonka. The blistering took the paint all the way down to the bare metal.
    I can't imagine the mess sanding the entire face down and re spray painting is going to make. Make sure you get the correct finish. KH has several.
    Good luck - I will watch for your post.

• Shannon01
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update...
    When I first called customer service the guy basically admitted there was a problem and to have store call so they can take care of it. Store called and CozyHeat said NO. Store felt bad and offered to do it for $50. I said NO. I called warranty dept and explained. Then the gal said paint only has 90 day warranty. I told her that paint came off with painters tape and even the louver handle had paint coming off with only our bare hands touching it. I stood firm and politely told her that they already admitted to having a faulty product, even store told me, and that someone was going to be fixing this. She finally conceeded and the store is coming out to sand and repaint to whatever perfection I demand. It will take a few hours and I plan to put sheeting on entire room and block off rest of house. I don't want that paint dust anywhere.

I am not sure if I am lucky because CH is only out under $100 or pleased that I stood my ground. Either way, someone else is going to be fixing this problem. I have enough on my plate.

• Shannon01
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They came out on Friday. He was on time, immediately began work. He was there from 8-1. DH said it took several times as the paint kept bubbling. But the guy was persistent and it looks perfect. He did chip off a few inches of grout along bottom but that was expected. I was able to touch it up- without using any blue tape, and it looks good as new. I called manager to commend the worker for his patience and hard work.
    It is really frustrating whenever we do a project and something like this goes wrong. But it was resolved in the end and now I can move on to enjoying my fireplace.