Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
smoke inside the house

Posted by unctim (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 10:00

ok bear with me on this. like most i get some smoke when i open the doors on my wood burning fireplace(fmi c42lh) it has a metal chamber around the firebrick and a power fan underneath, to "move the heat into the room" i have outdoor vent into the chamber and a 2" hole from the chamber into the fire box. i think if i create a larger hole 4" and run my air source (metal flex pipe) directly into the fire box i would get much better combustion and alleviate my smoke problem. i have noticed a"violent" flame inside the box when i have the doors closed. i would also like to install duct work from my fan to the back and the to the top of the fireplace all inside this metal chamber. looks like there is room for this this should move a better draft of heat thru the top vent and into my room. OK guys what do you think. tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: smoke inside the house

You have inadequate draft - either your chimney is too short (should be higher than the highest portion of the home, not likely if this is a new build) or the area of the flue is too small or both.

I would not say "most" get smoke in their home when their fireplace doors are open. Much of the country with older fireplaces, with properly built chimneys of the proper height don't have any problem w/ smoke in the home from a fire - and most don't have doors on the fireplace.

o

You need a good quality exosfan to solve your problem. It's make your project cheaper.

o

Opening the door on a fire that is going and is regulated on the air supply side will almost always puff back into the room. It is a pressure issue. If I just open the door on my wood stove it too will puff back. If, however, I open the draft regulator and get more air flowing thru the stove and increase the flow up the chimney and then slowly open the door the increased draft will minimize or eliminate the puff back. With wood, every system has a personality;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here