Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas Fireplace Brands?

Posted by maries1120 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 9:38

We have a mid-60s gas fireplace and our first estimate was to take everything out and start over. The current fireplace is 112" wide real brick with an opening of about 60" but the actual fire opening is much smaller. The height of the opening is not proportionate. The person giving us the estimate recommends Kozy Heat. Thoughts on this brand? I thought I would start by finding reliable brands and than shop from there.

Hoping someone can help. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas Fireplace Brands?

We've had a Valor direct vent fireplace for about 7 years now. It really throws out a lot of heat, and it is one of the few brands made where the fire can be turned all the way from a "raging inferno, down to an ember", all from the remote control~~most brands will only turn down to about 60%.

The fireplace has been trouble free these 7 years +.

We rarely run the forced air central heating since we bought that fireplace, as it heats our 2 story 2700 sqft house very well, but we are in S. Calif and we have efficient windows, etc your mileage may vary.

Gary

o

Thanks for the reply and info. I have looked at the Valor webiste and liked what I saw. Mendota was another one I was looking at. I had never heard of Kozy Heat before this contractor gave us the quote. Most are installed through shops that sell them so knowing brands will narrow down which shops to even bother with. We are in Wisconsin so this won't heat the house - unfortunately.

o

Mendota and Valor are both great brands. Kozy Heat is a good brand too, but I am not crazy about the door or front selections. If you are looking at a full view fireplace, Mendota is the nicest. If you want a nice surround, look at Fireplace Xtrordinaire.

o

Thanks. I will check out the Xtroidinaire fireplaces too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here