Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround

Posted by pompeii (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 05 at 9:37

My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of soot and dust. I have washed it off and that helped some, but I would like to use some sort of cleaner to get the rest of the grime off. I want to keep the fireplace as is, but would just like to brighten it up a bit.

After cleaning the stones, I would like to go over them with a sealer that would add a bit of gloss. I've done this with old dreary tile and it helped immensely.

Does anyone know of a product that will clean embedded grime off a rock fireplace? Thanks.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround

Try oven cleaner. Test it on a small spot first before doing the whole thing.


 o
RE: cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround

If that doesn't work there are stone cleaning products out there. Go into a stone/tile store or a stone yard with your picture and ask them for a recommendation on a product.


 o
RE: cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround

Thank you for the oven cleaner suggestion, Xanndra. It worked very well. I will post a new photo when finished.

I had tried a cleaner recommended by the chimney sweep we used. It worked okay, but not much better then soap and water. I think it just cleaned off the surface dust and not the soot.


 o
RE: cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround

Glad I could help. That's what 10 years experience in this business will get you--Oven cleaner!


 o
RE: cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround

Will the oven cleaner work on a brick fireplace?


 o
RE: cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround

Yes. Again, test it on a small area first to see if there is any discoloration or other problems.


 o
Quick n Brite to Remove Soot on Rock Fireplaces

I tried Quick n Brite on my brick fireplace to remove the soot and absolutely loved it! I could not believe the results! I have tried various other products to remove soot and creosote that did an okay job but there was always a reside still left behind (and many of the products were so toxic I wasn't wild about having them in an area where I would be lighting a fire soon!) I was recommended Quick n Brite by a friend because it is a safe product without chemicals so I didn't have to worry about my children or pets (which I loved). I put the paste on my fireplace with a stiff brush, let it sit about 30 minutes then came back and wiped it off with a damp terry cloth towel. It was like brand new, I have not seen it that clean in 20 years and I did not have to scrub my arms off either! I have been recommending Quick n Brite to all my friends since then and everyone I have shared mine with has been very pleased as well. Great product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quick n Brite


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here