Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
basic questions - facelift for raised hearth fireplace

Posted by farfrae (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 08 at 9:11

We have a 1970's bi-level house with a brick fireplace in the lower level family room. The fireplace has a raised slate hearth, and propane insert. I want to update the look.

Can cultured stone or tile be applied directly over unpainted brick? We don't have a mantle but I would like to add one.

Hope this in't a dumb question, but can a hook for hanging a picture be added during retiling? The current brick has a hook, but they drilled into the mortar; and you can see where they tried to drill into brick and marred it.

I'll post pics later, camera's batteries are too low.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: basic questions - facelift for raised hearth fireplace

We just had this done to our existing 5'-7" wide X 9'-2" tall brick fireplace. We used cultured river rock and a solid piece of blue stone for the hearth and two cobble stones to make a support for the mantle. The stone was applied directly to the brick, you should be able to add a mantle and hooks while its being installed. It took our mason 3 days to complete, and it looks great.

o

Cultured stone and other natural stone tiles (travertine, marble, granite, etc.) are typically applied using a fortified thinset mortar which bonds very well to unpainted brick. So it's pretty easy to install it over your existing brick. There's nothing wrong with installing a picture hook using a screw into the mortar so long as they used the right anchor. It's easy to install it into any new surface also by drilling and using an anchor.

o

Thanks for your replies. My fireplace is about 6ft 2in wide by 8 ft high.
Any idea on price differences for tile vs cultured stone? Are some surfaces less labor intensive to install, which would hopefully decrease $ amount spent.
Also what thickness is the tile or stone. I am wondering about how the insert will adjust to an extra layer over the brick. The insert sticks out with 3 sides, sort of like a bay window.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here