Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to remove excess materials

Posted by beck678 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 8:51

I purchased my home 2 years ago as a foreclosure, great deal but I never got any sellers disclosures.

Anyway, my family room is an addition (don't even get me started with some of the problems here, such as no heat/air vents in the room...) and there is a natural fireplace in the room which I do use occasionally, although I have toyed with the idea of converting it to gas.

My biggest gripe is not only the brick that spans the entire wall, but the hearth that goes all the way across too (the room is about 18-19 feet long). I find it to be a constant thorn in my side when I am trying to move furniture around, as I am losing about a foot of space because of the hearth.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the hearth (or at least take a piece off so I can see what is under it). And what about the brick on the wall? There is like no insulation in the walls either (well, very little). In a perfect world I would tear the house down and rebuild it, i love where I live, I just don't love a lot of things about this house!

Ken family room1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to remove excess materials

I think tearing out the brick wall or the hearth would be a very messy job, and risky too, because you don't know what's behind it -- maybe some bad surprises.

Think about sort of "getting around" the problem. You could paint the brick or cover it with sheetrock. Or you could build shelves over the brick to store books or to display s collection of things that please you.

I think you can greatly transform the appearance without tearing it out. The challenge is to turn what you do not like to your advantage. The hearth is solid space that could be put to good use.

o

Good point about now knowing what's behind everything. I just hate that the hearth spans across the entire wall and I can't put furniture all the way against that wall like I want too and I'm losing space because of it (and the rest of the room isn't an option, I have one long sofa against the only actual wall, the other one goes into the kitchen and the other has a sliding patio door to go outside.

Ah, the joys of home ownership!

o

You didn't mention your budget. If you don't have the budget to make some changes, just paint the brick. If you want to make changes, consider a direct vent gas fireplace. That could solve your heating problem. DV fireplaces are "an investment", so you might find it cheaper to add the ducting for your heating system. The brick might only be facing (most likely) so the removal isn't as difficult as you think. A contractor or fireplace company can probably tell you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here