Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jarvinen_gw

pellet stove - which one? how big?

jarvinen
16 years ago

Which pellet stove would you recommend? Which would you stay away from?

What size stove should I have? Our house is two stories with a loft and open ceiling (21'). The square footage is 1950 sq.ft. The stove would go in the basement which is an additional 750 sq.ft. Heat would radiate through vents into the upper floors (although we would like to tie it in to the existing ductwork but have yet to hear of a good method).

Thank you.

Comments (9)

• elkimmeg
    16 years ago

with vents ind floors which are part of your natural containment structure of a home do w you have a death wish for you and your familly? if free warm air can pass threw floors then combustion products fier and carbon monoxide also can use that expressway. the name of the game is safe exit time Safe exit time is increased by containment cutting unprotected holes in floors reduces containment and safe exit time A decision I would never make in ny home exposing my familly to increased dangers

• jarvinen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Have you been drinking? Or does this terrible grammar come naturally?

• rjoh878646
    16 years ago

I would ask you pellet stove dealer if they can tell you the square footage each stove will heat. All i do is turn the furnace fan on once and a while to circulate the heat.

• lynxville
    16 years ago

Jarvinen: ItÂs not very kind to be insulting on forums. Not everyone can type or spell on the same level, but Elks comments are accurate and correct. A wood or pellet stove is more of a space heater for the area itÂs in. If you want to heat more than one level of a home, two heaters would be the best way to go. Or put the stove in the area you use the most.

• jarvinen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I would say that a person who responds to a serious question with "do you have a death wish?" is pretty deserving of my response.

• rjoh878646
    16 years ago

I also must have a death wish.... I leave my basement door open all the time... I also have a open stairway to the 2nd floor..... which lets warm air upstairs.

• elkimmeg
    16 years ago

With vents in the floors, which are part of your natural containment structure of a home, do you have a death wish for you and your family? IF free flowing warm air can pass threw floors, then combustion products fire and carbon monoxide also can use that expressway. The name of the game is safe exit time. Safe exit time is increased by containment. Cutting unprotected holes in floors reduces containment and safe exit time A decision I would never make in my home, exposing my family to increased dangers.

My typing skills needed to be criticized after that post I deserve it, but the safety message stays the same. I have sat in seminars reviewing burn characteristics found in homes. Part of every Rough frame inspection, equal time is given to fire blocking and daft stopping.

Has anyone wondered why laundry chutes were eliminated from modern construction?
    CONTAINMENT All burn studies data supports, containment as being crucial to safe exit times. Did you know there are codes governing unprotected openings in floors and ceilings? Your floors and ceilings are natural containment structures, cutting un protected hole in them, created an expressway to disaster.

Naturally the person criticizing my typing skills must be smarter than I. He would have pulled the required permit, He would have built in the necessary precautions, of providing protection to the openings and had it inspected and approved.

Instead he would rather attack the messenger and try to discredit the message., Than admit, he had not though out the ramifications of his handy work. I took the time to warn the folly and safety issues of this practice. Hoping it might save another from making the same mistakes.

There are some codes written as what I call idiot codes. Codes where common sense should prevail, but this is not always the case. Some codes are designed to protect the people from themselves. An example of such codes are many states now passed mandatory carbon monoxide detector codes, or expanding the smoke detector coverage to bedrooms. Ground fault plugs in bathrooms and near kitchen sinks. Smoke detectors used to be on dedicated circuits, but too many people just turned off the circuit breaker.

Today they have to be wired in conjunction with a common light, a light that is used often. Many homes that light is your kitchen light. The most used light in your home. People will turn back on the detector circuit,if they have no light in the kitchen
    Ps I had George Bush's speech writer prepare my message,
    which probably explains how poorly it was initially delivered

• zzallen
    16 years ago

I suggest you consider the Harman pellet furnace. It has more heat output than most stoves, a bigger hopper, and it is designed to connect to ducts. Like any pellet stove, it requires regular maintenance, but the Harman is designed so this is is easier and less frequent. Another advantage of the Harman is it's ability to automatically adjust feed rate as demand for heat changes. I also suggest that you obtain and carefully study an owners manual before purchasing any stove you are considering.

• jarvinen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. I appreciate everyone's input.

Do you own a Harman pellet furnace?