Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Experience with chimney reinforcement/replacement?

Posted by artemis78 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 1:02

We have a 100-year-old single-story home with a brick chimney that is separating from the house. We're getting a number of different types of recommendations on how to remedy this, from reinforcing the current chimney to rebuilding it to removing it entirely. I would love to hear from others who have encountered this problem--what did you decide to do, and how did it work out? There's a huge range in cost, of course, so while we want to be cost-efficient, we also don't want to patch the problem and have to revisit it in a few years' time. The current chimney is original and sitting on also-original foundation, which is failing due to age and will be replaced. We know we want to keep the fireplace, but don't feel strongly about whether it is wood-burning or fitted with a gas insert. (We live in an area where wood-burning fires are banned on days with poor air quality, which is not infrequently.) We also live in earthquake country and current chimney is not braced or otherwise seismically reinforced, so even without the separation issue, that would be a concern.

Any experiences or advice to share? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Experience with chimney reinforcement/replacement?

You have to understand that in todays world a masonry chimney while an excellent architectural device (because we are used to seeing them) they are a terrible mechanical device. Get rid of your masonry chimney. A wood fireplace will actually work better with the factory built chimney than the masonry. On a gas fireplace you will have the choice of a direct vent (out the back) or you could run a B-vent stack up above the roof line. That would have to be enclosed.
You will have a significant amount of repair work on the removal, but you won't have to worry about it falling on someones head when the ground shakes. With the air quality limits I think you are going to end up with a gas unit.

RE: Experience with chimney reinforcement/replacement?

Your chimney is too much older that’s why i think you have to replace it’s may create a huge problem for you after few years. I know it’s very costly to replace it but you have to do it for your family safety . Now many kinds of new chimney has been came into the market they are very cheep and handy also you go for it.

RE: Experience with chimney reinforcement/replacement?

Thanks all! We ended up hiring a structural engineer who will be assessing the chimney, foundation, and overall house structure to help us decide the best course of action. Because the chimney is structural to the house, removing it completely is not trivial (and hugely expensive) so we are leaning towards the middle ground options of removing portions of it to lift weight, but we'll see what the final recommendations from the engineer are.

RE: Experience with chimney reinforcement/replacement?

Hiring a structural engineer... The right move! Please keep us posted on findings and actions

RE: Experience with chimney reinforcement/replacement?

Thanks! Happily, the engineer's report was that despite the scary looking crack in the side of the chimney, the movement in both the house and chimney was well within the range of normal for the age of the house (house has settled about an inch) so he recommended no action except to seal the crack and improve drainage at the foot of the chimney and around the foundation perimeter. We are on heavy clay soil in an area that is in severe drought, so apparently this is causing more pronounced/noticeable settling of homes. If at some point we decide to do the foundation on that wall (evaluated as not great but serviceable), the recommendation was to underpin the chimney foundation at the same time to strengthen it. Like all of the masons we've had out, the engineer agreed that the chimney above the roofline would come down in an earthquake without question, but given that it is not leaning and would likely fall on our driveway, he did not recommend any immediate action there either, as he disagreed with the masons that taking the top portion off would stop settling below--thought the only reliable way to stop this was to strengthen the chimney foundation itself. (We are still contemplating taking it down to the roofline just for our own peace of mind on seismic safety, but haven't decided on next steps there yet.)

So a surprising end to a somewhat stressful few months, but happily with a much lower price tag (and the added benefit, hopefully, of a dry basement if it ever starts raining here again!) Thanks for all of the feedback!

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here