Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobt_gw

semi- inside chimney for woodstove

bobt
15 years ago

i get the gist that most people in the know recommend a chimney that's "inside" the living space, as opposed to the often seen stainless liner running up alongside the house---"outside". what about this.... i'm considering a small woodstove for my small house (864 sq ft ranch with well insulated basement walls and heavily insulated attic) which i'd like to locate along a wall in the main living space which has, on it's other side, and enclosed but unconditioned porch---the enclosed porch has 3 1/2 inches of polyiso in each cavity, and the ceiling and floor have 5+ inches. in western pa. right now it's 22 degrees and my porch is showing 36 degrees. this is a difference of temperature of 14 degrees. is this porch space "interior" in the sense that people use it when describing the preferred "interior" chimney location? i would like to locate the burner on the wall opposite the area of the enclosed porch, and run the correct double/triple wall stainless in the "interior???" space of the porch and up through the porch ceiling. for many reasons, this area of my house would be the best place to locate the burner, but i am aware of the importance of the chimney---that's why i asking. thanks

Comment (1)