Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Smokey Joe'd us out of the house

Posted by tulips (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 08 at 23:41

We have 2 woodburning fireplaces in our house. The downstairs works fine with a fireplace insert but the upstairs fireplace SMOKES US OUT like there's no tomorrow. The upstairs just has a chimney, damper & grate. The chimneys have been checked and are clean. What's the deal with this? Is the flue too short? The previous owners made no mention of this problem so we are at a loss as to what to do. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Smokey Joe'd us out of the house

You're getting a negative draft. It could be that the height of the chimney is too short, there are trees nearby, or the distance from the roof pitch is too short requiring the height of the chimney to be raised.
What happens when you open a window a bit and light the FP?

RE: Smokey Joe'd us out of the house

Thank you for your response, Christopherh. I don't think we've tried opening a window. I'll ask my husband to do that. I'm a bit nervous to light it again because the last time we tried, the smoke smell took several days to leave. Ew.

RE: Smokey Joe'd us out of the house

Here's a link to a pretty good article that may solve your problem. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: ARTICLES - Wood - How to Start a Wood Fire

RE: Smokey Joe'd us out of the house

What type of chimney is it, how many stories, is there an ash dump(hole in fireplace floor where ashes go)? The chimney needs to be able to warm up as that is really the engine that makes your fireplace work. I suspect it's not getting warm enough for some reason.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here