Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

Looking for a good see-thru gas fireplace

Zoe52
16 years ago

We are building a new home and are researching brands for a direct vent see-thru gas fireplace that will be set between our den and a library. Any recommendations out there or things that we should consider? Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)

• fandlil
    16 years ago

I have no expertise in this, but I'm a consumer who did a lot of research before selecting a direct vent gas insert for an existing prefeb fireplace. Go to google and key in "see thru direct vent gas fireplace". Quite a few websites appear. The one by Monessen seems interesting to me.

I guess one of the questions you need to answer is whether any direct vent gas system can be installed in such a way that it will work in a see-thru chimney, or whether you need to go with a unit specifically designed for that purpose. I would call up some of the big, reputable direct vent manufacturers on their 800 customer service numbers. I think most of them will be able to answer your questions. Unfortunately, the manufacturer I went with, Jotul, is not very accomodating with their retail customers. If you call their 800 #, they direct you to their dealers.

I think it's a great idea to heat 2 rooms this way because these units really generate a lot of heat and can easily meet the needs of 2 rooms. Ours sometimes feels like a blast furnace, and we have to turn it down some. I also think it's prudent to plan the whole thing far in advance since you're building from scratch. I would ask around to try to indentify the most reliable installer, because these things are a little complicated and are sort of a specialty within a specialty. I have a feeling most builders and general contractors have little experience in direct vent units. It might be best to ask your builder to coordinate his chimney construction with a direct vent expert you identify separately. I think most builders subcontract the cheap, useless gas logs they usually install. So it shouldn't bend them out of shape for them to work with somebody you identify.

Good luck.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH