Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tiling a brick fireplace

Posted by katypeterson (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 06 at 22:23

Any tips on tiling over a brick fireplace with 12 x 12 slate tile?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tiling a brick fireplace

It'll work fine if the brick hasn't been painted. Use a fortifed thinset mortar. You can get the thinset with the fortifier already mixed in or use a liquid fortifier when you mix it. Do not use the premixed thinset. Use a notched trowel to apply it to the brick and remember to "butter" the backs of the slate tiles. You may have to figure out how to cover the edge of the brick around the fireplace opening. You can cut thin strips of slate and mortar them in. If you have never done tile or stone before, you should read up on it first. Have fun!

o

I did mine but I took the brick off first and then installed cement board so the tile would be nice and flat. It worked good.

o

We had a floor to ceiling ugly gray brick fireplace. We decided to tile over the bottom half with 12 x 12 marble and the top half with sheet rock. We love the results. Cost less than $500 and we recouped part of that cost by selling the fireplace insert on ebay for $430. Pictures at the following link show the whole process.

Here is a link that might be useful: fireplace remodel

o

nice job cordovamom! that fireplace looks great. I may be working on a similiar project soon and was curious about a couple of things. How did you secure that piece of wood to the bricks (what type of anchor did you use? how many? Etc) and how much construction adhesive did you end up using to get your sheetrock to stick? Thanks-

o

Matt-- Thanks !! To answer your questions, we used lead anchors with lagbolts, 4 of them evenly spaced across the width of the piece of wood used to mount the mantle on. We used Liquid Nails to secure the sheetrock to the brick on the top half of the fireplace. Initially we only used one tube of Liquid Nails, spread in thin stripes across the face of the brick. This didn't hold, so we ended up using another tube and a half of Liquid Nails and really glopped it on in big glops. I didn't get any pictures of that because I was too busy helping to hold the dry wall in place. We ended up bracing the dry wall to hold the glue in place for a few hours to ensure that it stuck. If we had to do it all over again, we would have used a leveler or thinset layer on the brick that was to be covered with tile. The brick wasn't exactly level and we used a chisel in spots to knock off high spots on the brick. A leveler would have made it much easier. Other than that, what we did worked fine and we love the look.

o

Hi cordovamom, Very nicely remodeled fireplace.
Can you please tell us where did you get those
border tiles (trim pieces) from (local store ) ? Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here