Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kandkwi

Direct venting a pellet stove

kandkwi
16 years ago

Has anybody here direct vented their pellet stove? We would like to put one in our basement, but not have to have a chimney running to the top of the house.

Comments (10)

• edsacre
    16 years ago

No experience with one, but I saw a "Ask This Old House" episode the other day where they did just that. It looked like pretty staight forward installation. The installation by a pro, didn't seem to take more than 4 or 5 hours. Hard to tell on a 15 minute segment though.

• freebird77
    16 years ago

They can be vented horizontally. Can you run the vent through your basement wall?

• diannedojo
    16 years ago

I am also looking for some advice about venting a pellet stove. Is it better to go through your roof or through a wall? My wall is brick.

• kframe19
    16 years ago

You always have to vent in accordance with the manufacturer's directions.

If they say that you can vent either vertically or horizontally, then you can use whatever method is best for your application.

• sylvanarrow
    16 years ago

Yup, you can save money by not having to install a chimney. Do you have a daylight basement or one that is partially above ground? If so, venting horizontally should be doable (though make sure to check with the manufacturer of the model you want to buy).

I'm sticking in a link to a blog with a pellet stove category. Looks like some of the links might have helpful information.

Here is a link that might be useful: pellet stoves

• rjamlapointe_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

can I vent a pellet stove under a deck or how close to window do we have to be and can my vent pipe run between two windows

• brendainnj
    13 years ago

As someone who just purchased a pellet stove (not installed yet), check the stove manual's recommendation. Manuals are usually available online. Most manufacturer's (but not all) will allow you to go within 18" of an operating window as long as an outside air kit is installed. Some will not--as we found out after ordering a Quadrafire Sante Fe model only to find out our inspector would not pass the installation with a window closer than 4' since it was not specified in the stove's manual. We had to cancel that order and choose a different stove. There is a great site that gets much more activity than this one--to to Hearth.com; they can answer most all of your questions about stoves there.

• Rosalyn Williams
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a pellet stove installed in my bi level. pipes are on the inside. Can i have a fire prof wall/cover built around pipes.would like something permanent . guess it can be movable . Not very attractive. im so smart did not realize it could not be vented from the bottom of stove. live and learn. thanks

• akamainegrower
    8 years ago

Rules for how any solid fuel burning appliance must be vented are covered by national and local building codes. Clearances to anything flammable are also covered by codes plus the manufacturer's specs. Not entirely sure what you want to do, but an enclosure for a chimney or vent pipe is known as a chase. Materials, size and other specifications would depend on the type of pipe plus any relevant codes.

• PRO
    Rockford Chimney Supply
    8 years ago

This link will give you an idea of what the venting requirements are for pellet stoves. For the most part, most manufactures stoves vent very similarly. For under a deck you must be 12" from the bottom of the deck. Page 19 will show all the clearances that are required. https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/PDF/man-nps45-pellet-stove-2015.pdf