Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Jotul F 500

Posted by johnw_2010 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 20:42

I have a Jotul F 500 Oslo, and have had it for 4 seasons now. I have always loved it--it heats my 1000 sq ft basement office very well. But in the past three weeks or so, I've been unable to keep a hot fire in it. It's as though, when I close the door, the air cuts off and the fire just cools down and will eventually go out if I don't maintain it constantly. The damper is always wide open, so that couldn't be the problem. It's never done this before. Any idea what could be the problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Jotul F 500

I don't know anything about Jotul's but try out this web site.

www.hearth.com

o

Check your chimney for blockage. Sounds as if the draft is insufficient. If the chimney's clear, then wood that is not dry enough would be the prime suspect.

o

I have a very old Morso, non-catalytic. Mine has a smoke shelf inside above the doors. If I am burning really hot fires, with really dry wood, it sometimes fills the top of the smoke shelf with very fine ash and the stove won't draft correctly. My shelf is removeable but you need Hercules to remove it and clean it, so I usually just get some kind of a tool and scoop the ash down into the stove again. It also seems to burn less robustly if I let too much ash build up in the bottom. I had one chimney sweep who did not clean off the smoke shelf after sweeping the chimney and it really goofed up the drafting until I figured it out and cleaned the soot and ash off the shelf myself. If your chimney isn't blocked, you might check and see if you have a shelf inside at the top that has too much ash on it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here