Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caligirl_cottage

A question of COST, please don't yell at me

caligirl_cottage
16 years ago

Okay, I know there are a lot of variables involved, but I just need to know if we're in the general ballpark. I'm installing a new gas fireplace 40" in a new construction, with one story of venting. The gas is stubbed to the location. It's a Mendota. The cost installed seems to be about $4,700. Is that in the realm of normal?

Comments (4)

• fandlil
    16 years ago

I paid just a little less than that for a direct vent gas insert for our prefab fireplace. So I think you're doing very well. Just make sure that you're getting direct vent technology, and make sure that the price includes everything: the hearth, fireplace surround, mantel. You might consider a blower, sometimes an option at extra cost. It promotes wider distribution of warm air into the room. The new ones are not so noisy, at least not at slow speed settings. We have found the remote thermostat very useful. It's like a TV remote; you place it in a strategic spot in the room, and it will cause the fireplace to go on and off according to the temperature you set. It takes a little trial and error to find the best place to put the thermostat and what the setting should be. This option usually costs more than just a few extra dollars, but I think it's worth it. These fireplaces can put out a tremendouse amount of heat, and having an easy way to regulate it is a big convenience. Good luck.

• caligirl_cottage
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, haus proud, I'm pretty sure it's direct vent and it includes a blower and remote (to control the fireplace) but I didn't know about a remote thermostat, so thanks for the clue on that. The price doesn't include the surround and mantel though. My contractor told me that I should be able to get one for $2,000 though, and I just haven't found prices like that. Still looking.

• fandlil
    16 years ago

Before signing on the dotted line, I would work closely with the contractor in selecting the hearth, surround and mantel because you want the whole thing to harmonize and fit neatly, and you want the installer to say that he feels okay about your selections. Make sure that the contractor is familiar with direct vent gas technology, because there are 2 vents that go up the chimney, and the chimney cap differs from the cap of a regular chimney. He/she needs to know that. I would check with the fireplace manufacturer -- call their 800 customer service number to make sure there is nothing that has been missed. Good luck.

• elkimmeg
    16 years ago

There are two types of gas fireplaces
    decorative are not efficiency tested of listed 50% of the heat exits out the exhaust
    the second category is called hight efficiency where as much as 80% if heat is returned to the living space. F if burning the same gas then why not produce some real heat?

why not a direct vent and save the cost of a chimney and chase?