Return to the Fireplaces Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can add a gas fieplace to a house?

Posted by cathyinbothell (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 18:21

I'm sorry if this is common knowledge on this board, but I searched to find this answer and couldn't. We are looking for a home in a neighborhood in Arizona. Some homes were built w fireplaces, some not. I have to have a fireplace, but it occurred to me that if we had an exterior wall (outside is stucco), on a one level home, that perhaps we could add one? I'm talking a real gas fireplace that is flush with the interior wall. We would add a mantle and tile and things later. Is it possible to do on a 6 year old home? If so, any ballpark on costs?
Many thanks for your expertise,
Cathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can add a gas fieplace to a house?

Cathy,

As costs vary from area to area the only people that can answer your cost question is the people that sell and install them locally. The question as to whether you can or not can only be answered by the local building department and the real question is whether gas is available where you are.

o
RE: Can add a gas fieplace to a house?

Yes, I am sure you can do this if there is a gas line to the home. I would estimate the cost at 1500- 3500.00, but that is so dependent on who you choose to do the work, how far away the gas line is, the size of the firebox, whether the stucco is genuine stucco and can be matched. Many variables, but you will be adding to the value of your home. Go to a fireplace store to get an idea of the scope of the work, and bring photos on your phone of the space, exterior and interior. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fireplaces Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here